Using additional keys with immobilizer
Date: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:33 pm
You can use a new key with your engine-immobilizer-equipped van if you have two or more valid keys. The following instruction explains how to program the immobilizer to recognize the extra key(s). You can use up to 8 keys with your Mazda MPV.
The existing valid keys are called Key 1 and Key 2. The new key is called Key 3.
Note, if no specific time interval is given, a given step should be performed within 30 seconds of a previous step.
- Cut new transponder equipped key(s).
- Using Key 1, turn the ignition switch to ON then back to LOCK five times. The key should not remain ON or LOCK for more than one second.
- Turn Key 1 back to ON. Observe illumination of security light in instrument panel.
- Turn Key 1 to LOCK and remove key 1 from steering lock. Observe security light goes out.
- Using Key 2, start engine. Observe security light illumination (for 1-2 seconds) and engine continues to run.
- Turn Key 2 to LOCK and remove from steering lock.
- Repeat steps 5-6 with Key 1.
- Repeat steps 5-6 with Key 3.
- If there are 4-8 keys (valid and/or new keys), repeat steps 5-6.
- Wait for 30 seconds to quit reprogram mode.
If you have only one valid key, then you have to go through a dealer (you will need 2 new keys and a special code to program the new keys)...